We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

Fabric.com Deal of the Day

Sunday, August 3, 2008

I got so motivated I started on this outfit for my granddaughter who is 9 years old.

The outfit is in hot pink cotton/spandex...just a little bit of spandex so it should be comfy for her. The cotton is a little heavier than I think is necessary for a sleeveless top, but if she chooses to wear it in the colder months she can wear a turtle neck underneath. The fabric came from I believe Walmart a year or so ago. It was an excellent purchase - only $1.00 per yard. I think I ended up with 11 yards by simply purchasing whatever was left on the bolt.

I zig-zagged all seam allowances before I sewed together. For some reason I could not find my foot control for either of my sergers. I have 2 old sergers: Juki 2/4 and a White 234. Where in the heck could the foot controls be? One of the surgers was in a case so the foot control should have been right there with it. Did they just walk away? The bad thing is that I can't use any other foot controls because of the connection plug on the cord doesn't match anything else I've got. This holds true for both machines. Grrrrr!!!

On the sewing machine, a Singer Quantum I decided to use variegated thread in the top to "embroider" little flowers along the hem of the pants and along the bottom of the top. I haven't put the bias on the armholes or neckline yet, because I can't decide if I want to do that or put a self-fabric facing on it, with the same embroidery. Any suggestions?

This picture below also shows how I ran out of bobbie thread before I was finished with the embroidery. I hate that, LOL.

I did a bad thing in making this outfit: I don't even know if it will fit her. In rtw she's a size 10-12. The pattern size I used is 8, but used about 1/2 " seam vs. the usual 5/8". I wanted to take her measurements today, but they were out all day. So...when I get a chance to have her try on the outfit, I will surely take pictures and post them.

Friday, August 1, 2008

Well, here we go, as promised. The curtain panel is showing up more orangey than it really is. It's still a beautiful cotton fabric from Joann's.
My daughter loved it when she saw it after she got home from her trip.
View from the back and on the right of the actual curtain is the black-out fabric. I chose the less dense because I'm sure she'd want some light to come in even though there is a south-facing window on a wall next to the west-facing door.

Another view of the back - with the black-out fabric showing more than above. At the top is just a simple hem with a casing for the curtain rod.
...and this is the machine it was sewn on.
I love this machine - even though it's an older model it works perfectly.

Here are the potholders. I like them myself, I must say. My daughter said they were too pretty to use.One of the illustrous potholders. I chose a decorative stitch for the quilting portion on one of the potholders, and tried to repeat her first initial on the other one. I've learned to use a rayon thread for the actual decorative stitches and monogramming.